Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Songs from the work radio, pt. 2



Paul Simon - "Run That Body Down": I love songs with this sort of vibe. There's this undercurrent of a troubled marriage, then this sort of minor musical collision at the end. Beautiful.



ABBA - "S.O.S.": God, listen to the synths! From Wikipedia: "The descending chords and ominous synthesizer melody line of the introduction set the tone for Fältskog’s vocals, sounding almost as if she were breaking down in tears." Then the chorus basically contrasts that with synths made of tidal waves and everyone singing out to the waves and oh man yeah.



The Pretenders - "I Go To Sleep": If I go through life without this song coming back for me at the right moment it'll mess me up pretty hard. Maybe not pretty hard, but I guess it'd be disappointing. It's an incredibly rainy and weighted-down song. A night-time-fog-out-your-looking-window sort of song. (The version the work radio played was by the Pretenders, not the original by pre-punk band The Kinks).

B-52s - "Topaz": When I first heard this song it was one of those things I'd obviously like and it turned out I liked it. The vocals seem to intertwine like vines, then flourish out and explore their space during the chorus. The lyrics seem like something I'd write off as a list for song titles or titles for anything, here they bring to mind plenty of colors and images. I think I'm moving sideways on this one, I've written about it a few times so I'm out of steam.

No comments: